Blasting and the Use of Explosives
Prior to projects involving the use of blasting agents or Class A, B or C explosives, submit thorough plans detailing procedures to the University Environmental Health & Safety department for review and approval. Ensure submittals include:
- training and other qualifications of all those authorized to handle and use explosives;
- evidence of notifications to any applicable utilities and emergency response agencies;
- all reasonable precautions including, but not limited to, visual and audible warning signals, signs, flags, or barricades;
- details regarding the prevention of accidental discharge of electric blasting caps from current induced by radar, radio transmitters, lightning, adjacent power lines, dust storms, or other sources of extraneous electricity;
- methods of accounting, transporting, use-site storage and securing of all explosives at all times.
Report missing explosives to the Department of Public Safety at (202) 319-5111 as soon as the loss is discovered.
Display Operators shall
- ensure personnel are trained and competent;
- obtain required licenses, permits and inspections;
- maintain display site security and communications;
- wear protective gear and proper clothing;
- prohibit accidental ignition sources;
- ensure rocketry complies with NFPA 1122, NFPA 1125 and NFPA 1127;
- properly install mortar boxes, racks, and drums;
- keep fireworks cartons closed;
- keep fireworks dry and in good condition;
- always handle fireworks carefully;
- stay away from loaded mortars.
2013 District of Columbia Fire Code, Chapter 56;
29 CFR 1910.109;
49 CFR 172.